Thursday, May 16, 2019

It Goes Without Saying, Be Careful With Expressions of Certainty (updated with video)

It goes without saying
It is needless to say
It is undoubtedly true
There is no denying
Without a doubt

Of course

These are standard connecting phrases that are used to express certainty in academic writing. I see them frequently in IELTS essays, but more often than not, they’re used incorrectly. These expressions are actually quite dangerous because they are just begging for the writer to make an unsupported conclusion.

In some previous video feedback, I’ve been pretty severe in my condemnation
of these phrases, telling students in my feedback “NOTHING goes without saying in an IELTS essay!”, and when it comes to some parts of your argument, I believe it. The foundation of the academic essay is the explaining and supporting of even some points that might seem like basic assumptions. To YOU they might seem basic, but a good rule of thumb in IELTS is “pretend you’re explaining something to a five-year-old.” One with an excellent vocabulary, but a five-year-old nonetheless.

Expressions of certainty are not to be completely forgotten or considered bad form per se. Instead, you just need to be quite certain that that thing you're saying is certain is certainly certain. 😏

In the worst uses of these phrases, I’ve seen them used to begin arguments in support of one side of the very topic at hand.
 
Because I am emphasizing a point.

There is no denying that taking a year off between high school and beginning study at a university is advantageous for the individual who does so. 

Umm.. no, that is what you’re supposed to show me. Starting off by saying it is undeniable is starting off with a falsehood. If it CAN be denied, then it isn’t undeniable. Another example:

 Ït goes without saying that people spend far too much on weddings nowadays

  Even here, when a question says that people are spending more on something than ever before, too much is a judgment call, an opinion, and it doesn’t go without saying. 

I wish I had kept a journal of incorrect uses of these terms over the years, but I’m looking at one right now on an essay recently submitted to the Tips and Tricks board… can you see how this statement doesn’t use the phrase correctly?

It is needless to say that community work is essential for the wellbeing of individuals and the society.

Teacher Joko
Oh, really, now? Essential means required. How many people do community work? I guess it depends on the culture and other factors, but on the whole, I would have to say that most people do no community work whatsoever. Do the majority of people lack wellbeing?

What if the writer had said:
It goes without saying that community works gives people a sense of wellbeing.
 
Well, sure, that’s a lot better. I can buy that. That doesn’t raise red flags that the writer is trying to prove their point by simply saying that it is true. That is not the path to a well-developed argument.

Let’s try some exercises…

Which of these do you think are appropriate uses of these phrases?

  1.   It goes without saying that the internet has made all of our lives more dangerous. 
  2. Needless to say, modernity is a time of tremendous change on many levels.
  3. It is undoubtedly true that all languages are equally important. 
  4. There is no denying that a country that has a lot of sports facilities has n higher level of overall public health than those that don’t
  5. Without a doubt, children require the socialization opportunities that schools provide in order to become well-adjusted adults. 
  6. Salary is not, of course, the most important consideration in choosing a job. 
Answers at the bottom of the page.

As these phrases are mostly used as “cohesive devices” AKA connectors between ideas, misusing them will affect your writing band score in multiple criteria. In Task Response, the writer may consider this as valid support for a position, which, OF COURSE (see, I use them too), it is not. Instead it is what is called “argument by assertion”. For the C&C Band, it might be thought of as an inappropriate use of a cohesive device.

Again, these phrases are dangerous, and like anything dangerous, should not be handled very carefully by those learning how to use them.

Links:

An interesting explanation (not in the IELTS context): Grammarist.com How to Use "It Goes Without Saying" 

A video feedback where I yell at an IELTS candidate for using "It goes without sayinghttps://youtu.be/JBS1YBdsplI

Update:

I had not read the essay from which I drew the example above community work when I originally wrote this lesson. I had only noticed that line.

I thought I'd offer my corrections later, and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high hopes for an essay that began with "It is needless to say..."



Oulʎ #ᄅ ɐqoʌǝ ᴉs ɐu ɐddɹodɹᴉɐʇǝ nsǝ˙

No comments:

Post a Comment