Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Circle of IELTS - So long, Ali!

(why the guy fowkes mask?)

I feel a bit anxious today, as well as fortunate. One of "my students" is taking his IELTS exam here on 4 January (sometimes that means all 4 parts, but usually speaking is done separately). It was just by coincidence and his diligence in putting his essays where I will see them, but I ended up reviewing 3 or 4 of his Task 2 essays. Consequently, I feel like I have some stake in his

success. I put in a lot of my free time helping the general public with their IELTS writing - and in Ali Shariati's case, a lot of that tutelage happened to fall on him. 

His early essays were my favorite type to make videos on. Obviously written by someone who's got enough language ability to get a high band, his corrections were mainly about bad essay-writing practices or by following a structure so rigidly that non-examples end up being used as examples. Very confusing. 

I'm reticent to say he is going to get the score he needs. It's bad luck to do so. The last candidate I helped extensively, Pankaj, ended up stuck at the 6.5 in writing after all my help. On his first test. He later got that 7. If Ali gets another 6.5 in ewriting, I

This is not Ali's essay in this video, but another I've done recently. An example of what not to do.


I mentioned at the top of the blog that I feel fortunate. Yes, I'm glad I happened to have been born in an English speaking country so I don't need to learn the language of the world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment