Saturday, September 14, 2019

Nervous you Won't Think of Something to Talk About in IELTS Speaking? FAPP! FAPP! FAPP!

I'm not CERTAIN the following is actually good advice.  It is, however, something that candidates consistently feel better knowing that they have in their pockets going into test day.  I'm talking about a pre-set structure on which to build your talk during the speaking test.

In the short video below, you will see me endorsing the idea to my students in class.  I describe it as a house on which you can place your language.  Each
floor gives you a place to show off a variety of grammar structures.  More importantly, it gives you a place to go if you find yourself not knowing what to say next.



My reluctance to endorse this approach comes from the concern that it might lead to one being too mechanical and not sounding authentic in their speech.  Committing yourself to one approach before even hearing the question, on principle, doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Consequently, I think it's a good idea to have several approaches practiced ready to go if you need such a thing. That way, you can adapt to the particular question.
 
One way to approach the task in the part 2 long form is to remember these five words:

  • ·         Introduction
  • ·         Past
  • ·         Description
  • ·         Opinion
  • ·         Future

Here’s  a link to a lesson at IELTSadvantage.com which goes over this approach.

The past-present-future (PPF) approach to the speaking test is even more well-known.  I like it because it’s adaptable to many speaking functions.  I’m not going to endorse any particular proponents of this approach. Just google ‘PPF’ and you’ll find plenty.  The problem is that as so many students are using the same technique, the risk of sounding pre-planned and mechanical is even higher.

A couple weeks ago, someone posted a request for other methods, not just PPF.   
Well, I came up with FAPP
·       
Future
·         Always
·         Past
·         Present

For the first time, I used this idea in class.  As I told my students, they should FAPP  when they go take their test.

Here’s an example of me fapping in front of students.


No comments:

Post a Comment